Feast of the Marist Family – Fathers, Brothers, Sisters and Laity.
We Marists, eager to retain the original inspiration and spirit of our Society, celebrate the name of Mary which Father Colin said should be “often on our lips and still more often in our hearts.” In doing so we recall Mary’s vocation and ours.
As part of a project initiated as our annual assembly, each sister was asked to invite one or two people to join us for prayer and afternoon tea on our feast, the Holy Name of Mary. A short prayer was prepared during which the sisters renewed their vows. It also included a time of sharing what being associated with the Marist sisters meant to those who came:
Some of the comments were:
- It is a privilege to be part of the Marist family where one finds gracious hospitality
- There is evidence of prayerfulness which shows forth in action
- Marist means for me is ‘family’ – Mary is the mother of us all
- Simplicity – A sense of frazzle and fragmenting disappears when I’m with the Sisters
- I like the humbleness of Mary that comes through in their vocation of serving the Lord in the “other’
- Marist means merciful love of God that is made evident in their way of life
- Always ready to help the ‘needy’
The communities reported that it was a joy-filled afternoon, with a number of people hoping to come again for such a gathering.